Saturday, January 19, 2008

Time To Change

Whether I am ready or not, it it TIME TO CHANGE! Before I went on Christmas break, a friend that goes to church with me here in Lexington randomly asked me what my BMI was one sunday as we were leaving church. She said, "is it greater than 30?" I laughed and said, "Oh, yeah, I have that number way beat!"
Then she told me about a free exercise program that the Johnson center(UK's gym) was offering to people with a BMI of 30 or more. All you had to do was apply, get a fitness screening, and wait to find out if you got accepted. It was on a first come first serve basis. It just so happens I got there fast enough. I owe a huge thanks to AMANDA!(especially because she is always encouraging me to keep getting healthy)
The program put us into groups of 5 and we will be working out with a trainer twice a week and then we have to do at least one other work out on our own time. It starts on Monday for me since that is one of my training days. I will also be going on Wednesdays as well. It lasts until the middle of April. Three times during the semester they will open the gym early for us participants and have one big circuit workout. They are going to take midpoint and final measurements to see what kind of progress we have made.
This is a great thing for me. I think that it may be very possible to lose another 30 pounds before I go out on rotation! There are many bonuses to that kind of result. The first and most selfish is that at that weight I should be able to fit back into many of my business/casual business clothes that I had to wear when I worked for Casual Corner Clothing. The second will be that I will feel so much better. I will have stamina to be on my feet all day seeing patients. If a doc has a long workday, I will be able to survive! Hopefully, my blood pressure will be stellar and I may be able to cut back on my medicine. Maybe I won't have reflux anymore. Most definately, my self esteem should go up, up, up! I should be able to destress much better especially since exercise will hopefully be a new habit by the time I go out on rotations.
Pray for me friends! Pray that I will deal with these demons that I have allowed to continually lead me to eating and being sedentary! Pray that I will handle all the little bad things in life in a positive way instead of destructive way! Pray for me as I get started on a TIME TO CHANGE!

No comments: