Thursday, August 5, 2010

Purification Process

Hebrew 10: 14 the Message

“By that single offering, he did everything needed to be done for everyone who takes part in the purifying process.”

Over the last while I have been working through a book about getting rid of stubborn sin. For a long time I have struggled with the question, “God why can’t you heal me? Make me stop sinning?” I’m not going to really get into all that God is teaching my right now, but one thing He is teaching me is the purifying process is so much more than Him taking away our sin.

I want to share an excerpt from my journal, and this is what the above verse means to me.

“Thank You for sending Your son so that I have the option of being purified. Lord, I think sometimes, no most of the time, I expect You to work some magic in my life-that I would magically be healed. While that can happen, when it comes to the battle of food, if You took that from me, You would take away me. You would take my human will-my free choice. In a way, I would be like a zombie and I think that would take away my ability to love You as deeply as I might. That it would take away my desire to know You and to be with you. It might take away my humanity.

I like what He has to say in The Message and it is something that I have never noticed or thought about. “For everyone who TAKES part”-Takes is an active word, it isn’t passive, and the action isn’t being done to me. So, by leaving my human will in tact, by not “healing” me of this battle of food. I have a choice to actively participate in a purification process. Lord, I praise You for that!

No comments: